Come To The Table

 

I recently moved from New Mexico to Louisiana.  Growing up in New Mexico, we had plenty of winter and all it entails... snow, ice, wind, etc.  Louisiana is a different climate in nearly every way.  Sure, there is winter with low temperatures, some ice storms, but rarely does it have real amounts of snow and seriously freezing temperatures.

This year has proven to be very different.  Several inches of snow, along with temperatures as low as 1 degree have stunned and immobilized the region.  No one here is used to this level of cold and snow, and neither are the wildlife.

Side note...  I love to watch birds.  I know that sounds like an old man thing, but I've always loved watching small birds like sparrows go about their day.  Growing up on a farm, I knew that each type of animal had their own way of doing things, and birds certainly do.  They gather materials for a nest, gather food, and protect their young from predators.  We keep a bird feeder in the back yard, just to help them out a bit, and be able to see them coming and going.

Back to the current weather situation.  After the snow stopped, I began to notice birds in odd places obviously trying to keep warm.  They had a look of stress about them, and I realized that because of the snow and ice, they probably were not able to find much food.  We have a small table on our back porch that was covered in snow.  I took a dish about the size of a pie pan and filled it with birdseed and sat it in the snow on it.  The table is sheltered from the wind, so I hoped the birds would begin to find it quickly.  Sure enough, they did.

For two days now, I have watched countless birds come to the table for some food.  All kinds of birds.  Some of them, like the cardinal in the photo above, were stunningly beautiful and regal in appearance.  Most, though, were rather small and haggard looking.  it was obvious that they were having a rough time with life in this storm.  I love the smallest of the birds.  Sparrows and the like are my favorite.  They are the small ones, the often forgotten ones.  Jesus said this regarding these small birds:

"What is the price of two sparrows--one copper coin?  But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it."  -- Matthew 10:29 NLT

Early this morning, as the sun came up, I saw something truly amazing.  At first, there were just a couple of birds at the table taking food.  Then, one by one, they began to show up in greater numbers around the yard... patiently waiting in line for something they so desperately needed.  I took the photo above as I observed all of this.  Small birds, medium-sized birds, and even one rather large bird, all gathered in the same spot at the table with the same goal... they needed something to sustain them in order to survive.

As I watched this scene unfold, the Lord impressed on me that these birds were like people, in that we all have a real need to survive in this life.  Sure, we need food and rest, but we need something more than that.  We need someone that nourishes our soul.  That is the difference between people and birds... our soul.  You and I are born with a deep-seated need for a savior.  A savior to lead us in both good and desperate times.  I think it is save to say that we have all seen some desperate times during the past year.

Jesus offers this to us in the Bible:

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” -- Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

Like these little birds came to the table for food, Jesus asks us to come to the table, to spend time with Him, and to know Him.  No matter your size, your color, or how frazzled you may be.  This is how we find that rest... by letting Him guide us through His Word.  I pray that today is the day you will come and find what you need in Jesus.  Ask Him to speak to you, to forgive you, and to lead you each day.


Comments