What Motivates You?

Seriously, what motivates you each day?  A paycheck, your family?  For me...it can be rather sobering to think about.

“Good” vs. “Great” things in life.  After mulling that topic over for the past week, God really hit me this morning with another big word…Motivation.  Webster’s defines motivation as “a motivating force, stimulus, or influence.”  What influences me to do the things that I do?  When I am trying to sort between “good” and “great” things in my life, what helps me make that decision?  

Proverbs 3:5-6 tell us to “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.   

 Too often, I motivate myself, based on my own desires.  While what I desire may be a “good” thing, I may just miss that “great” thing that God had in mind.  This quote from Oswald Chambers really hit home with me:

"All that we build is going to be inspected by God. When God inspects us with His searching and refining fire, will He detect that we have built enterprises of our own on the foundation of Jesus?" -- Oswald Chambers (My Utmost for His Highest)

What I am continually learning is to stop acting based on my own motivations, and learn to acknowledge God in all my ways, so that He show me the “great” paths in this life!

Comments