Good...vs. GREAT


Do.  Doing.  Done.  We use these words a lot, don’t we?  What I’m about to do.  What are you doing right now?  We have done some great things, haven’t we?  The Lord has really convicted me lately about the motivations behind the things I do.  I realize this may be sounding like a tongue twisting passage like that in Romans 7:15-17, but stay with me, and I think this will all make sense. 


There are a lot of “good” things in this life.  Activities, projects, even church things that are wonderful, often necessary things.  However, there are very few “great” things in this life.  I would assume that most of us would rather do the “great” things in life rather than just “good,” right?  How do we know a great thing when we see it?  Most of the time, we will miss them on our own.  We must rely on the Lord to guide even our smallest steps.  When He speaks, we have to be ready to move.  Otherwise, we may get distracted by something that is more attractive to our own desires, rather than God’s.  I know that I am guilty of doing the things that I enjoy more than the things that I do not.  But what if God is wanting to push my boudaries a bit?  What if He is not satisfied to let me just stay the same? 

None of us like to be out of our comfort zone.  We prefer the safety of our own corner of the world.  I like to surround myself with "good" things, but I must admit that many of the "good" things that we do seem a bit hollow. 

I turned 37 last month.  I have no idea why, but this is the first birthday that really got my attention.  30 didn't bother me, 35 was no problem...but the realization set in this year that my "I'll do that someday" thoughts needed to go away.  I have been a part of some amazing things so far in life.  Grew up on a farm and ranch, went to an awesome university, married an amazing Godly woman, was given two beautiful daughters, that's just the personal highlights.  God has allowed me to be a part of some amazing ministry over the past 20 years.  Mission trips to far points on the globe, ministries right here at home, watching youth catch the vision of Jesus, and so many things that I do not have time to mention here.  At 37, I could start taking it a bit easy, and admire the things that God has allowed me to be a part of.  I could look back forever....and live like Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynomite.  "We coulda won state in '82!" 

I love where I came from.  I love being who God made me to be.  But I do NOT want to live in the past.  I want to be a part of what God is doing right NOW!  His greatness being shown to a dying world is my greatest desire!  This passage has really hit home with me lately.  Hope it speaks to you, as well!

“Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.  Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.  But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it--he will be blessed in what he does.”  -- James 1:22-25 (NIV)


Comments